Benefits of Art for Seniors
It’s no surprise that exercise, socialization and lifelong learning are all important aspects to aging well. Keeping the mind and body in good shape is essential to maintaining independence and living retirement to the fullest.
But there are other areas seniors should consider engaging in to reap a variety of benefits, like taking part in artistic activities that encourage creativity. Engaging in art can be therapeutic and improve overall quality of life in a variety of beneficial and unique ways.
Top 10 Benefits of Art for Aging Adults
Studies have shown that there are numerous benefits to participating in arts, particularly as you age. Seniors reported better overall health, fewer doctor visits and an improved sense of self-worth. While the benefits seem to be endless, below are the three biggest overall benefits of art for seniors.
- Relaxation – Many wellness providers emphasize the importance of meditation. Seniors, much like other age groups, can benefit from overall relaxation.
- Socialization – Everyone knows the importance of social interaction. For seniors, it is important to maintain social connections and art offers the perfect way to improve communication and meet new people.
- Sensory Stimulation – Art is all-encompassing. From painting to pottery, art engages the senses in a way that nothing else does.
- Control – It’s common for seniors to feel a loss of control. As they can’t keep up with tasks associated with daily living, they may lose their sense of control. Art can help them regain this sense of independence and confidence.
- Mental Stimulation – Art challenges the mind to think creatively and explore new ways of getting things done. This is great for improving cognition.
- Develop a Sense of Identity – Seniors can often lose a sense of identity as they lose the ability to do things independently. Art gives them a chance to find what makes them happy and pursue it.
- Prevent Boredom – Over time, seniors can find themselves becoming isolated and only leaving the house when necessary. Art gives them a creative outlet to better utilize their free time.
- Improve Creativity – The more seniors get involved in art, no matter what kind, the more they are forced to think outside the box and develop a greater sense of creativity.
- Prevent Depression – When seniors feel they have found a greater purpose in life, they feel more fulfilled and are less likely to experience the symptoms associated with depression.
- Improve Confidence – When seniors find they have a knack for something creative, it can give them a new sense of confidence in their abilities which can translate to other areas of their life.
One of the best things about art is that it has no limits. Art is valuable for independent seniors or even individuals living with Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s and other degenerative diseases. Engaging in art can help seniors finding meaning, purpose and most of all, happiness.
Finding a Renewed Sense of Self at St. Joseph of the Pines
Your retirement years are meant to be a time to rekindle old hobbies and explore new passions. At St. Joseph of the Pines we do our very best to offer residents a variety of services, activities, and events to help them improve quality of life and build confidence in retirement. We would love to take you on a tour of one of our North Carolina campuses to show you all our senior living community has to offer. Feel free to contact us today.